Debt Collection Agency

I received a letter from a debt collection agency. It says I owe some $1000+ to someone some time in 2000. The company to whom I supposedly owe this money is listed. The funny thing is, I was nowhere near that city, not even the state, when the debt allegedly occurred. Now, being a generally good citizen and a well-raised Taiwanese boy, I thought I should dispute this in good faith and also to clear things up for everyone's benefit. But the letter goes one step further to scare me into complying with it -- it says that the agency will assume this debt is valid if I do not dispute it within 30 days. Now it is one of those rare times when you think to yourself, hey, it's not bad to have access to free attorney advice. I was told by my in-house lawyer that, no, they can't just assume such and such. They don't even have proof that I received the letter. His advice? Ignore it unless it shows up on my credit report.

Well, it doesn't. So I am ignoring it. But this action goes completely against what I instinctively would have done. Someone should sue this company. I could have been scammed into paying this if I was an 80-year old bat not knowing any better!!!

Comments

Catherine said…
we have gotten fake mails like that on property tax etc. so now a days we would just check online first to see if anyone has posted the scam online. you should try to post yours somewhere so ppl won't fall for it!!

Popular posts from this blog

Iceberg Lettuce with Oyster Sauce 蠔油生菜

One of my favorite Cantonese desserts - mango, pomelo, and tapioca "soup" (楊枝甘露)

Whole wheat sandwich bread (Pullman loaf)